"Sunday on La Grand Jatte" Georges SeuratWhat is the appropriate response to certain statements and questions? Sometimes, we don't know what to say in a situation, so we don't say anything. But it's better to know what to say than remain silent.
A: I just got a raise.
B: That's great. Congratulations.
That is better than:
A: I just got a raise.
1. I can't come to work. I have a terrible cold.
2. My wife is having a baby.
3. We're having terrible weather, aren't we?
4. Hey, how are you? What's going on?
5. I just tripped and fell. I'm in a lot of pain and I can't move.
6. This is California Pacific Hospital. How may I direct your call?
Sure. It's Ten Thirty.
8. Could you please tell me how to get to the library from here?
9. John. Have the packages been sent yet?
10. How did you and your wife like the movie?
11. Thanks very much for all your help.
12. I just got laid off.
13. My husband left me for another woman.
14. Could you possibly do me a favor?
15. I wonder if I could borrow your dictionary.
16. What do you miss most about your country?
17. How was the party?
18. How was the wedding?
19. Be careful. Don't walk there. It's slippery.
20. Is today Sunday?
21. I'm going on a job interview this afternoon.
22. How do you do?
23. What are you going to name your new dog?
25. You know, you just hit me with your elbow!
26. The Muni Bus System is very unreliable.
27. There needs to be better funding for public education.
28. Would you like to join us for dinner?
29. I want to apologize to you. I didn't mean to close the door on your hand.
30. Would you care for another cup of coffee?
31. Look at that magnificent bird!
32. I wish my neighbors were friendlier.
33. Here's your meal. I hope you enjoy it.
34. I just won the lottery.
35. I just lost my shirt at the stock market.
36. Roger, can you please put everything away and lock up?
37. Mary had her baby last night.
38. Your name is Alvin Parker, am I right?
39. I just saw an accident at the corner of Mission and 22nd.
40. Do you by any chance have a dollar to spare?
41. Rover broke his tooth chewing a bone.
42. The State of California should spend less on prisons and more on education.
43. I'm new in San Francisco. I'm having trouble finding places.
44. I'd like to make an appointment with the doctor.
45. Is Level Five available at 12:30 next semester?
46. Where can I register for classes at Mission Campus?
47. I can't believe it. Without warning, I was given the ax at work.
48. I was really blown away by that film. Were you?
49. Albert was chosen "Employee of the Month."
50. Mr. and Mrs. Tyler were ripped off last week.